Sunday, April 29, 2012

Book Review: Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

I think I saw this book for the first time on Goodreads when Kelly Creagh recommended it, and since I loved Creagh's Nevermore, I decided to check this one out. And I'm really glad I did! When I read the blurb, I knew I needed to get this one as soon as it was published. Now check out the blurb from Goodreads:
Everything is in ruins.
A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?
Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.
But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.
And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.




So this book was based on Edgar Allan Poe's story of the same title, which I didn't read. *hides* (I will, because now I'm curious.) And I really didn't expect it would be this good. No, I really, really loved the book and once I started reading, I just couldn't stop for anything in the world. I'm still thinking about it because I want to read more and the next book will be out in 2013. *cries* I don't think I can wait that long. So, what did I like so much about this book? Well, almost everything. It's a bit hard to explain, but this is exactly the type of book for me. There are two really hot guys... yeah, two. I know there are always two hot guys in a love triangle, but I usually pick one and that's it. XD Here it's really hard to choose, because both boys have exactly what I like, even though I think I'm closer to choose one over the other. I also like that we're not sure in which city this is going on (unless I missed it somewhere) because that sounds like something I would write. You know, that evil might be in your city. *big grin* I also like that it wasn't too long. I mean, I want to read more of it, but I don't like it when authors add unnecessary descriptions and things to have more pages. This one has a perfect pace and you can't get bored for a second. Araby is an interesting, flawed character and that's why I enjoyed her story. She might not have anything in common with me, has a suicidal tendencies and is a bit naive, but that's not surprising since the world she grew up in is the way it is. Actually, this book reminded me a bit of Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, but without the....err...cheesy romance part. Anyway, if you haven't read this, what the hell are you waiting for? :D Oh, and I would really like to see this as a movie.

Now some of my thoughts that contain spoilers, so don't click this cut if you haven't read the book!!!


I hope the cut works. XD It's only the second time I use it. Anyway, if you read the book, you'll know what I'm talking about. I still want to find out was Elliott the one who burned down that mask factory. I mean, he did come later asking for the papers, so... I wouldn't be surprised if he did it to get the papers. It isn't like he needed the masks or sth. I'm also not sure about his motives for the revolution. And I'd really like to know more about this disease/plague. How those germs can't go through the mask, and they don't stay on it, so when you take it off you don't get the disease? And why you can't get the disease with so much skin exposed? I mean, I want to know how exactly you get the disease, how it spreads from person to person, what parts of your body it affects... and things like that. :D
Oh, and when Araby's father gave her that vial for her and someone who she loves, I thought it was some sort of poison :P You know, like berries in Hunger Games. If you love someone, the easiest way to escape and all. Ahahaha.
Now back to the boys. I still can't decide who I like more, but I'm closer to choosing Elliott. Will is great. He looks like a bad boy and he takes care of his brother and sister (which makes me go all awwww), but he's a bit too good. I know some people say he betrayed Araby, but really, what was he supposed to do? Choose Araby over his family? Yeah, right. Especially when he knew she was also with Elliott. On the other hand, Elliott is... complicated, as a result of his messed up life. I love messed up, a bit psycho guys. :P Oh, and how come he didn't know his father was alive? If that guy was so famous, how come no one recognized him? And if they were making masks in factories, didn't they have info on how to make them? Couldn't someone bribe someone or steal the info from there? Am I asking too many questions? XD Too bad I don't have time to read this again, just to see if I missed some of the explanations. :D Anyway, I loved this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment