Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Another Book Rec: Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Finally found some time to read, so I was able to finish Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs, and I liked it so much that I just felt like I needed to write a post about it. First let's see what it is all about:

 Overview from Goodreads: Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her-and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.




Now look at the cover. Isn't it the most beautiful thing ever? Such amazing colors, and yeah, the cover was the reason why I knew I needed to have this book immediately. I usually don't read books about mermaids. I believe there were some sort of mermaid shifters in one book series I read, but that wasn't the same since the main focus wasn't really on mermaids. Now I figured I actually like mermaids too, especially if they are like Tempest. This was a really great read, not too long, no unnecessary details, and an interesting plot which kept my attention all the time. I really like the world Tracy Deebs created and I could imagine it so easily that it almost felt like I was watching a movie. And at some points I found myself almost crying because of some things Tempest had to go through ( don't want to spoil anything.) And I could really feel what Tempest was feeling, which is awesome. Of course, there were some moments that I didn't quite like, mostly related to the fact that Kona (why does it say Kai in overview?? *is confused*) is two hundred and something years older than Tempest, if I remember correctly. I don't know why I started having a problem with romantic relationships between teens and super old creatures, but I guess I just keep wondering why would someone as old as that act like a teen and fall in love with a young, inexperienced girl. It's kind of creepy if you think it this way, but of course, everything is possible in stories! Anyway, I would definitely recommend this book to everyone, even if you don't find mermaids particularly interesting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment